Golden milk is an excellent, delicious and incredibly healthy drink, especially good for the late night hours, and the benefits it provides are more than amazing!
Turmeric is the main ingredient used for this recipe. It contains curcumin, which is actually a polyphenol identified as the main active ingredient used in more than 150 potential therapeutic activities, including its antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer properties. When combined with black pepper, it is even more powerful.
Additional health benefits:
- Anti-inflammatory properties, powerful antioxidant, antiseptic, analgesic
- Strengthens the immune system
- Anti – carcinogen
- Helps in maintaining cholesterol levels
- Improves digestive health
- Liver detoxifier
- Regulation of metabolism and weight management
- Helps in treating high blood pressure
- Great for better memory and healthy brain
- Effective in treating skin problems
- Helps in treating neurological disorders
- Reduces triglycerides
By adding black pepper in dishes seasoned with turmeric, you can increase the bioavailability of curcumin for up to 1 000 times, thanks to the piperine responsible for the pungency of black pepper. This means that if you combine turmeric and black pepper, you can increase the absorption of turmeric for up to 2 000 per cent.
Step 1: Turmeric paste
- 1/4 cup turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 filtered water
Cook all the ingredients together in a saucepan on a medium heat. Stir well until the mixture thickens. You will not need much time to prepare this paste, so stay close to the stove. After it is done, let the paste cool for a while and keep it in a small jar in the fridge.
Step 2: Golden milk
- 1 cup almond milk (coconut milk is also a good option, and Ayuvreda recommends using cow’s milk, but only if you can find organic milk from the local farms)
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1/4 tsp (or more) turmetic paste
Combine all the ingredients together, except the honey, in a small saucepan. Cook on a medium heat and stir constantly. Take the milk off the heat and add honey to taste.