The Gerson method is a comprehensive approach of healing the body with a special diet and detoxification. This method improves the body’s natural ability to self-recover.
The Gerson method is now one of the most popular natural therapies for the treatment of cancer in the world. However, it helps with many other diseases, such as epilepsy, drug and medication addiction,diabetes, chronic fatigue syndrome, arthritis and heart and kidney diseases.
If it is implemented as preventive, this method can avert many diseases and keep good health.
The discovery of this therapy
This special food regime was developed in the 20th centuryby Max Gerson, a German physician, who was born in 1881 in a place that is now Poland.
Because he suffered from migraine whose symptoms worsened, and the former medicine could not help him, he persisted with the intention to find a cure for his ailments.
By exploring the available literature and by experimenting on his own, he discovered that the vegetarian diet without salt can deprive severe headaches and nausea.
By recommending this type of diet to his patients, he accidentally discovered that identical food and the way of the preparation of meals can treat tuberculosis and lupus, for which then there was no cure.
The success in the treatment of tuberculosis is confirmed by clinical research, which made the Gerson therapy become famous throughout Europe.
The results of Dr. Gerson enabled him to treat famous patients, such as thefamily ofDr. Albert Schweitzer, a Nobel Prize winner, who was cured from diabetes, and his wife, who was cured from tuberculosis.
Although his diet is mainly prescribed to those suffering from tuberculosis, it turned out that it can successfully treat allergies, asthma, and disorders of blood pressure.
Gerson realized that his diet does not cure specific diseases, but stimulates the metabolism and the immune system to operate properly, and restore health in this way.
How does the Gerson Diet work?
Gerson divides foods into three groups – desirable, occasionally permitted and prohibited. The Gerson diet is quite restrictive. It contains eating mostly raw and almost entirely vegan foods.
- It is desirable to havelarge quantities of fruits and vegetables on your plate.
- Allowed foods: oranges, lemons, apples, pears, peaches, plums, cherries, carrots, tomatoes, peppers, green beans, chard, lettuce, kale, broccoli and red cabbage. Occasionally, you may eat half a banana.
- Fresh fruits and vegetables are eaten raw, in salads, soups or juices.
- From the non-vegan products only yogurt and honey are allowed. Milk, dairy products and meat are prohibited.
- Occasionally, you may eat integral rice and some bread from integral rye or oats. Boiled potatoes are allowed more frequently.
- From the oil only linseed oil is allowed.
- As a sweetening agent you can use maple syrup, honey or brown sugar, in an amount that does not exceed two teaspoons a day.
- Patients do not drink water, instead of that, juices are recommended. You should consume about 13 glasses of juice during the day.
- People who want to implement the Gerson diet should leave out the salt from the diet because according to Dr. Gerson, the penetration of sodium into cells causes many diseases.
- It is essential to avoid all processed foods, including all frozen and canned foods, smoked and, of course, salted foods.
- Alcohol, coffee and all varieties of tea are forbidden.
- Do not eat legumes, soybeans, mushrooms and margarine.
- From the fruits and vegetables pineapples, avocados, berries, coconut, nuts, cucumbers, sprouts and raw spinach are not allowed.
The juice therapy
Gerson was trying to perfect his program for fifty years, especially for patients suffering from cancer.
He introduced the consumption of fruit and vegetables, preferably organic ones.
Drink the juices throughout the day, every hour, always freshly prepared.
Gerson has recommended four basic types of juice: carrot, apple with carrot, orange and green juice (cabbage and other vegetables).
You should drink 13 glasses of juice a day.
In addition to juices, three light meals a day are mandatory, and each of them contains a special Hippocrates soup that has a strong detoxifying properties.
For breakfast, you can eat oatmeal with fruit, and for lunch and dinner, potatoes and salad.
Cook on low heat with a little water. It is forbidden to use aluminum dishes, but it is recommends to eat with silver flatware.
The recipe for the Hippocrates soup:
- 1 medium celery root
- 1 medium parsley root
- 2 small or one large leek
- 2 medium onions
- Garlic if desired (it can be added at the end)
- Few parsley leaves
- 600 g of tomatoes
- 400 g of potatoes
Wash the vegetables, grate or chop them into cubes. Put them in a large pot and add a little water – to cover the vegetables. Heat to a boiland cook slowly on low heat for an hour or two until they soften. Strain them at the end.
Cleansing the organism with coffee enemas
According to Gerson, it is necessary to use coffee enemas four times a day, in the case of large tumors, more often. Gerson found that the enemas are good for cleansing the liver and removing toxins from the body. For a single dose of enema, you will need 900 ml of coffee. You can occasionally use castor oil for this purpose.
During the implementation of enema, it is necessary to remove all chemical cosmetic products from use, which come into contact with the skin or mucous membranes.
- Dr. Gerson is a supporter of natural food supplements.
- For the treatment, in addition to the special food and enemas, potassium andLugol’s iodine can be also prescribed.
- From the vitamins C, B3 and B12 and digestive enzymes are recommended.
- Today his therapy also involves vitamin B17, coenzyme Q10, and colostrum.
- Taking calcium is considered harmful.
He had not found support from colleagues
After thirty years of his emigration to the US, Gerson’s research focused on the prevention and treatment of cancer. Unfortunately, he has not faced any support from colleagues, and is not considered as a scientist in medicine.
After his death, his daughter, Charlotte Gerson, continued her father’s work and in 1977 she founded the Gerson Institute.
Currently, there are two authorized centers in the world that treat patients with the Gerson therapy, in Mexico and in Hungary, near Budapest.
More about Max Gerson and his method can be found in movies such as ‘The Gerson Miracle’ and ‘The Beautiful Truth.’